Thursday, June 25, 2009

Real Time

Did you know that physicists believe there are at least 11 dimensions in the universe and are pretty sure there are 2 more for a total of 13? So in my 3 dimensional view of things what am I missing? If I added a dimension or two what would happen, could I move backward in time? Could I shape change? Could I move beyond time? Could I still breathe, think, feel in another dimension? Would I still be human or some multi-dimensional being with super powers that could not be seen or felt but could act? WOW - that would be amazing!

Having no answers and not really even knowing what these other dimensions are I am stuck here in my 3D reality. I think? Am I?

Remember Madeline l'Engle's book "A Wrinkle in Time", wouldn't that be interesting to find the wrinkle. To slip the bonds of 3D and find 4D or 5D. Could you imagine a world beyond this one that is merely a wrinkle from your grasp, a world that exists behind a thin veil of 3Dness, a veil that parts ever so slightly once in a while and gives a chance for slipping in or out. Hmmm.

You may be wondering, who cares? or is this lady a nut? or I've got better things to do with my time. And you are right - it's not really a quest that one can succeed at.

I saw "Man of LaMancha" this past week at a local playhouse. Quite a production - excellent in all ways. The program described it as a play written in the 60's with all the idealism of the time. The implication being that this was a somewhat dated yet inspiring dramatization. But ah - the Quest! "To follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far".

Do we accept the 3Dness of life, the inevitable and inexorable pull of the familiar, the known, the previously discovered? Is it only the lunatic, the exile, the prisoner who has the vision to see what cannot be seen by others. Don Quixote's quest to battle evil, right wrongs, and restore chivalry - not really a quest to change the world or perhaps. And this during the Spanish Inquisition - a time of religious and ethnic intolerance when one's hope was not in the world or the body but in being saved from eternal damnation.

Yes, we have come far - we are no longer torturing those who are of differing religious persuasions or ethnic persuasions, the inquisitions have stopped??? We have become a kinder, gentler world in which all are provided the opportunity to reach their potential?

And so the fool, the madman is the one who says there is another dimension - a reality we can live that we have not tried. Our salvation is not in the next world it is in making this time and place heavenly - in finding the dimension within and without that holds out the possibility to all of grace, and love, and hope, and faith. "To dream the impossible dream."