Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Help, I Need Somebody

Do you remember when the Beatles wrote "Help"?

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me?

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
I know that I just need you like I've never done before.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh
I have always been able to ask for help, I'm the girl in the front of the class who always had her hand up, who actually knew what hours the professors were in their offices, who attended classes for everything from child birth to income tax preparation, from woodworking to plumbing
(see the blog - "I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!" at www.oneofthehoipoloi.blogspot.com
for more on plumbing).
But you know, sometimes there just isn't a class, a teacher, a guide. You have to find your own way even when you don't know where to start or how to proceed. Steve, writer of the above mentioned blog, finds his way through the unknown with the help of beer and driven by thriftiness. Since I rarely drink, and never drink beer, and have never been known for my thrift and frugality I sure can't rely on those supports for the help I need. So where do you start when you can't find the way?
Real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable. ~Theodore N. Vail
Overcomer's Anonymous, isn't that one of those groups? Maybe they can help. My boss used to say, "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger." I'd probably go more for that philosophy if she hadn't almost killed me.
Some of your hurts you have cured, And the sharpest you still have survived, But what torments of grief you endured From the evil which never arrived.~Ralph Waldo Emerson
And of course there is the endless variety of ways to say don't worry, be happy.
Loneliness, insomnia, and change: the fear of these is even worse than the reality. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966
And then finally of course, there are friends, family, loved ones. And isn't that the best of all, the people in our lives who reach out to lend a hand, give a hug, share a laugh.
"I know that I just need you like I've never done before...and I do appreciate you being round."
You know those Beatles just got it right a lot of the time. And no matter how long the road seems or how dark, isn't it nice to have a tune to hum, a song to sing, words and music for serenity, courage and wisdom. So it's a little dark in here but you know I'm just humming my song and going along.